Saturday, June 25, 2005

I WATCH ANIME: Tenjho Tenge


After all the uproar online about the editing of the CMX version of this manga, I'd hesitated to check it out in that format, but after seeing the favorable review for the anime in the recent issue of Play Magazine, I decided to give that version a try.

At first, I wasn't particularly drawn into the anime. The first episode was decent enough, featuring some great animation and kinetic action, but also featruing some run of the mil anime-type characters and situations. However, after finishing off the rest of the volume one DVD, four episodes, the series really starts to take shape and I found myself buying in more to the cast and situations. The animation and style is pretty strong throughout.

While there's nothing groundbreaking here, there is a lot of fun to be had in the moments of battle between the classmates the story's centered around, and I can certainly see that escalating as the story goes on. Tenjho Tenge is worth another view for volume two, from there we'll see.

You can learn more about the series HERE

No comments: