Monday, July 18, 2005

MEANWHILE AT THE MOVIES... Fantastic Four of the Worlds

Just wanted to report in on the movie viewing we took in during our Anaheim vacation prior to the big San Diego con thing...

First up

The Fantastic Four

Not even the happiest place on earth could keep me from checking out Kirby and Lee's foursome on the big screen (not to mention the horrible buzz), so we went ahead and took in the show on the opening weekend.

It was everything I'd feared, horrible directing, and a hodgepodge dumb-ass script. However, it did have it's moments of fun, with the dude playing the Torch standing out as the best performance, followed closely by the Nip Tuck dude saddled by the horrible made-for-TV version of Doom, and Chiklis would've been perfect if not for the terrible, browless, rubber-suited thing (yes, you see the rubber wrinkle every time he moves his head).

Oh my god, and don't even get me started on the horrible, wretched scenes with Ben Grimm's fiancee...

I think it's quite amusing that week one's numbers were heralded for saving Hollywood, and that week two was on track for a 68% drop (or some such) in revenue. All the comic fans went regardless of the reviews the first week, and the rest of America apparently listened and stopped showing up...

Next

War of the Worlds

I wanted to check this out in the theatres when it came out, but a couple weeks later when my wife suggested it on the trip, I was not so excited. But I am not one to turn down a chance to go to the movies...

I'm glad we went. I had a really fun time watching the movie. Spielberg and the actors made the events transpiring on the screen big and engrossing. The movie clipped along with the Cruise family dodging lasers left and right and only falling into a couple weak moments.

The ending was too Hollywood, and some of the later scenes of alien effects were a touch on the cheesy side, but all in all it was a total blast! No, not a great movie, but a fun one...

No comments: