Saturday, February 10, 2007

COMIC PICK OF THE WEEK! 1/31/07

Time for the COMIC PICK OF THE WEEK - My weekly rundown of the books I brought home from the shop the week prior, where I pick my favorite from the stack, and then invite everyone to join in and post their favorites in the comments!

SCARLETT'S CURSE #0 & 1 - This was a polybagged set that made for the debut from new publisher Praxis. Interesting promotion, to include the number 0 with the first issue, but kind of odd, in that it didn't feel like you could use the number 1 without it... Tried this out because the art looked decent, and while it's not bad, it's a bit stiff throughout, and the story very bland and uninspired. We've seen chicks fight demons in comics, with a mystical artifact/blade how many times now? I know, we've seen a lot of other genre/setups too, so ultimately its about the execution. I guess what I'm trying to say is I was left wanting across the board...
DOCTOR STRANGE THE OATH#4 - As I've said on this, it would've made a great one-shot or short, but it feels really stretched at this point (and we've still got another issue)...
X-MEN #195 - Writing this more than a week after reading it, I honestly can't remember anything about it. Thumbing through I'm reminded of the great Ramos art, and cookie cutter X-storyline...
DINO WARS #2 - This has promise, but I felt let down with this issue. Espinosa's art is great, and the story/concept as well, but even though this is an over-sized 33 page issue packed with action, I wasn't very engaged. All the spectacle is lost following one character we've barely met and get no feel for as he survives giant techno-dino battle, you just never care if he eventually makes it out of harms way...
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #33-38 - Been anxious to check out Mike Carey's arc on this, as I've really enjoyed the Ultimate version of FF to this point, but while what I've read of his has been solid, it's just all been empty calories to me and he's paired here with a great artist, Pasqual Ferry. This opening arc is six issues, so I had to wait a bit for it to conclude and dig in. At first, aside from a bit of a ham-fisted open, I found it delightfully sci-fi/cosmic immersive, as we meet scores of interesting new interdeminsional characters and flesh out their world when the FF follows them there. However, after all of that setup, we get a bait and switch, and have the FF transport back home and not engage everything we've been waiting for. I can see that possibly it's setup for this storyline to resume down the line, but it felt too calculated and rushed to have me not care there's no real resolution here...
GIRLS #21 - Girls very much plays out like Lost, Heroes, or an HBO series, a great ever unfolding enigmatic concept with the Luna's immpressive and unique production. As we edge closer to the finale, the issues get better and better. Great book!


PICK OF THE WEEK: Deathblow #3
While really, this is another week with no true standout (this/next weeks stack looks to have no shortage of potential though) I had to go with Deathblow...

I've thoroughly enjoyed this new series to this point, and that's in no small part thanks to the incredible artwork provided by Carlos D'Anda, who continues to amaze here. Wildstorm continues to be the best studio in terms of artistic caliber in my eyes. That said, Azzarello's scripts have been interesting and fun, as the title character goes from a blank slate to slowly reestablishing himself in his new world, and this new series. As someone who's never really followed the character before, this approach really works.

How about you, what's your pick this week???

No comments: