Tuesday, April 06, 2010

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: the comics equivalent to the jetpack is here

Hey kids, the future of comics is now.
Print is dead.
Resistance IS futile.
I'm not fucking around.

Not only is the iPad one giant step for the digital transition of print media (i.e. landing on the moon (which happened by the way), and making, I suppose, the Kindle, and iPhone, space chimps in this analogy), but I guess Marvel Comics are part of the launch...

The only thing keeping this from being the full on tipping point, in the immediate wholesale transition to digital, is the fact that the iPad is tied to Apple's proprietary distribution model (iBooks or whatever) and higher pricing than what's previously been established for digital downloads (see Marvel's unwieldy $1.99 price point on individual digital comics).

The bean counters will cry that 1.99 per single issue download (roughly 1/6th of a trade or graphic novel) is equivalent to a music single (roughly 1/12th of an album)... but the fact is, as on Apple's eBook pricing, it's roughly double where it should be, both in terms of cost margin, and market value.

Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but I'll just go ahead and sell my shit for .99 cents thanks.

To be clear, I'm not saying the iPad is the actual device that will be embraced moving forward (I'm not saying it isn't either), however, what is clear to me, is that it's the first such tablet that can adequately move things significantly forward, and combined with the major comics publishing giant's participation, and the onslaught of similar devices... this train's left the station.

So, while we may not have jetpacks, make no mistake, the digital revolution just got a big ol' "all systems go", and at least, in the early part of the 21st century, we'll have comic books back in front of billions of people, instead of thousands, as a form of cheap alternative entertainment...

So yes, fanboys, welcome to the future.
Long live the medium.

Now excuse me, I've got some work to do...



For more on the breakdown of the coming revolution, I've found ComicsBulletin has a nice digital comics column by Ryan McClellan.

And for a look at the iPad running comics in the hands of 21st century comics pioneer, Otis Frampton, have a look at his Ustream review...

No comments: