Friday, June 22, 2007

SUPER REAL NOTES - Book status

It's been too long since I've updated the website, newsletter, or wrote about the book here. Between the always busy schedule, and not wanting to communicate anything til schedules were firmed up, I've opted to stay silent. Now, with things falling in line, I feel comfortable giving a long overdue update on the status of the book, and specifically the previously solicited issue 4.

First off, issue 4 was solicited via Diamond and via the March released Super Real Special for May (which was updated to May via the website etc). As we all know, May has come and gone, and we're quickly running out of June. Well, there's been a change in schedule. Instead of going from the first special back to the regular series, and the next issue (number 4), issue 4 will be cancelled and resolicited later (more info on that below).

Instead, the next release will be the exciting new Special sequel, Super Real VS The Movie Industry. Same formula as the first special, written by me with guest artists, featuring one or two "name" talents, some friends from DeviantArt.com, and a section all by myself, but this time instead of the cast facing off against stand-ins for comic book icons they'll be dropped into situations from popular movie franchises! The script is a ton of fun, and the talent here is amazing (more on that later).

So, I've got an awesome new book I'm getting ready to release, and issue 4 to follow that. The only question left now is, when will you see them? Well, here's the schedule:

Super Real Special - Super Real Vs The Movie Industry / 48 pages / full color - November 2007

Super Real issue number 4 / 32 pages / full color - January 2008

Yikes!
2008?!?
I know, time flies.
I could've focused on issue 4 and got it out sooner, but thematically, with the story structure, and where we're at with the series, it makes most sense to hold production on issue 4 to release alongside issue 5 and 6, which will all come out next year, and focus on the next special. You see Super Real is a story with a beginning middle and end, and issue 4-6 tell the conclusion of the first arc, so it makes sense to release them all together.

That leaves one more all out action, fun fest, with the next special, and then the epic conclusion to our first chapter in the saga of five genetically enhanced reality show participants. I can't wait to show you what we have in store, but unfortunately life and reality keep me from getting this crazy cool creation to you as fast as I (and I'm sure you dear readers) would like.

I ask you to please bear with me for a short while longer as we get this all put together. So, as it turns out, 2007 will be a hiatus for the regular series, with a couple oversized specials showcasing the full force of the concept (and also showcasing some amazing up-and-coming talent in the medium) to keep everyone primed for more mind blowing graphic storytelling in 2008!

Keep your eyes peeled for more info as we get the next special and issue 4 back into the distribution cycle (I know November sounds like a long ways away, but it'll be here before you know it), I really appreciate all the fans and friends of the book, and hope to grab many more as we continue. And again, I apologize for the ever changing schedule with the book, it's been a constant battle to balance what I'd like to achieve with what I'm actually able to do on my own, and for that I'm truly sorry. I'd love to bring in some help with the book, on lot's of levels, but I also want to see the first six issues through on my own, to keep things consistent (for our first trade). From there I'll do whatever it takes to get the help I need to get these wild comics I'm dying to create out into the market!!

Thanks again, and please continue to STAY TUNED,
- jason

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to all of the future books, man. Trust me, I know how time flies. I'm looking at my own self-appointed deadlines and crying :)

Jason Martin said...

Ha ha!

It's hard out here for us comic guys...