Monday, July 25, 2005

MEANWHILE AT THE MOVIES... The Devils Rejects escape from the House of 1000 Corpses!

The second Rob Zombie movie, The Devils Rejects is out in theatres, and I felt a burning need to go back and see his first film, House of 1000 Corpses.

The first viewing, when it came out on DVD was a memorable experience. I found the characters, settings, and directing, wildy and visually imaginative. From Captain Spaulding - the explosive foul mouthed roadside attraction clown clerk, Baby - the gleefully laughing murderous amazon blonde, to the straight-from-comics design of the mysterious Dr. Satan, to the climatic flight of one of the unfortunate "kids" dressed in Alice in Wonderland motif. House had tons of images and scenes that stick with you long after the film, and for me, it filled me with a nervous energy at what would transpire next, like most horror films should, but never do. Really the only horror movie to affect me in that way since my youth. That by itself is reason enough to herald the film, as I like and watch a lot of horror movies, but none are actually scary.

The second time through the film was still thoroughly enjoyable, and it's primed my thirst for the sequel even more. Or as Sid Haig, the actor who played Captain Spaulding (pictured above) in the first film, told my wife at San Diego Comic Con, "The Devils Rejects isn't a sequel, it's a continuation of the first film, it picks up the story where House of 1000 Corpses left off."

House of 1000 Corpses is the "Pulp Fiction" of horror films, an explosive, raunchy, character filled film, with visionary direction. Check it out if you haven't (and you have a strong stomach)...
Go HERE to IMDB.com for more info.

No comments: