Sunday, January 22, 2006

COMICS REVIEW

Been too busy to highlight books lately, but there were a few really good or interesting one's lately I wanted to mention here...

DAUGHTERS of the DRAGON #1
This one's been getting a lot of buzz, and it's well deserved. Not only is Khari Evans artwork sexy, it's really impressive, his attention to detail, linework, and character/style are all great! It's also a really fun read.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED


X-STATIX Presents: DEADGIRL #1
X-Statix/X-Force was my favorite book in recent years, so I'm elated to have more from the creative team. Allred just collabs on the art here though, and Nick Dragotta, the main artist, is massive... where did this guy come from? What else has he done? WOW!
The story is a ton of fun too, Dr Strange has never been my fave, but he's a treat in this one...
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED


NEW MANGAVERSE #1
I was a HUGE fan of the first Marvel Mangaverse. I loved the creators involved, and most of the books were a treat visually as well as cool new spins on the characters. I really like seeing a more contemporary version of the Marvel U (similar to Ulimates) then the drawn-out, out-dated, and generally over-done regular books. This version is decent so far, solid art, decent story.
RECOMMENDED


ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #2
Grant Morrison is my favorite writer. Frank Quitely's one of the best in the biz. Yet they still surpass my expectations, and that's after already setting the bar pretty damn high with issue one. This is great, great stuff!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED



SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN #2
This series with a Bendis driven story, and Luna-powered art continues to be solid. It's a slow burn, but a good one.
RECOMMENDED





I also wanted to spotlight a couple smaller books...
The first is LULLABY
I'd been meaning to check this out for a while, I really like Hector Sevilla's art (he's doing the variant cover to issue 3 btw), and the fantasy classics with a twist is always fun. I finnaly snagged an issue, issue two, and I really enjoyed it. It was a bit hard to follow, but I liked it enough to read it again, and I think I'm up to speed. Good stuff
RECOMMENDED



The second is GORY LORI
The solicit in Previews on this one intrigued me, it's zombies, but with a plucky female lead. Now, I'd passed on countless other zombie books, but with my recent heightend interest in zombie flicks, I've started to sample some of the books. Gory Lori is not for everyone. The art is a touch subpar at times, but moslty richly detailed and full of personality. The story is a bit light, but fun enough to tune in for more. I'll pick up the next book.
MILDLY RECOMMENDED

No comments: