Thursday, January 11, 2007

COMIC PICK OF THE WEEK! 1/3/07

Time for another COMIC PICK OF THE WEEK, my weekly rundown of the comics I brought home from the shop the week prior, where I pick the best of the bunch, the numero uno. Then I invite everyone to join in and post their favorites for the week in the comments!

UNCANNY X-MEN #482 - The fun storyline and new creative arc continues...
JLA #5 - Great Benes art, and good Meltzer story has DC's big crew in fine form...
CIVIL WAR #6 - This is the major Marvel cross over event of all time?!? Maybe it's just me, but we really seem to be going through the motions here, very connect the dots issue. I love Millar, but he has a moment or two here is all...
X-23: TARGET X #2 - This issue, slow paced, and focused on a very suburban story shouldn't work, but between the gorgeous art and the spot on character scripting, this was a surprisingly great read (except Captain America looks like a muscle-bound little boy?? yikes!!)...
ULTIMATE VISION #2 - I'm enjoying the hell out of this one. Great script and amazing visuals from Brandon Peterson...
NEW UNIVERSAL #2 - Issue one was great, this is even better. I'm liking Larroca's likeness driven style here, Angelina Jolie, Sawyer from Lost, Bruce Willis, nice casting (except for Gandolfini as the sheriff). This is a good book!
IRON-MAN HYPERVELOCITY #1 - I've been dying for this since it was announced, I'm a huge Adam Warren fan, and he does the tech oh so well. I also love his pencils, but his layouts for Marvel still come through as distinctly his, Denham's finishes make it his own, except for Iron Man, that just screams Warren... So how was the book? Really good, great writing, visually stunning...

PICK OF THE WEEK: ALL STAR SUPERMAN #6
Wow!

This was a great, moving, comic!!!

Morrison is simply the best, and he weaves magic here with the rich threads of the Superman mythos. Just a stunning, beautifully done-in-one comic book treasure.

When Superman is done right, he's the best comic book superhero bar none... Quitely, of course, provides the extra effort necessary to take All Star to the highest level.
And I just love the Superman Squad, Morrison never at a shortage for fabulous ideas, comes through in spades on Superman.

How about you, what's your pick this week???

No comments: