Friday, August 16, 2013

Night of the 80's Undead - Florida Geek Scene review

Here's another review I found from a bit back...

 Florida Geek Scene give the book a 9 out of 10 and say,
"The short and skinny is that I had a lot of fun with the book, in the same way I have fun with Toxic Avenger, Army Of Darkness and Red Hot American Summer. Go read it!"

 Find the full review HERE, or click below for more...

Night of the 80’s Undead #1

80sundead
9Overall Score
Artwork:9/10
Writing:9/10
Dialogue:9/10
Fun, Silly
A little light on women celebs

Night of the 80’s Undead #1
Jason Martin, Bill McKay
Action Lab Comics/Danger Zone
2013
This is the Troma Entertainment equivalent in schlocky horror comics. The title gives you all the setup you really need, and 10 panels in, we have a Magnum P.I. era Tom Selleck doing a line of bad coke that turns him into the undead coke-head.
Everything I get from Action Lab Comics is fantastic, and always heartily delivers. Firstly this is a fun book; it’s a sarcastic look at the 80’s that distills the worst of what was going on at the time. They poke fun at everything from who was famous; to a running gag of explaining what throw back items are in each page, to valley girl speak and using ‘like’ for everything.
For readers who didn’t live thought the 80’s, I imagine it looks like a weird glimpse into a strange yester-year, but to me this is just full of nostalgia. The writing is quite clever; the story is full of sharp barbs that come with 30 years of hindsight and knowing where things went.
The art is bang on for the story; it almost feels like it was lifted from a mid-80’s issue of Heavy Metal Magazine. It’s silly, goofy, but there are a lot of celebrities used in a caricature, but still leaves no doubt as who the person is intended to be.
The only thing I would like to see changed is the female stars represented as well as the men are. Give me Grace Jones, Cynthia Rothrock, Madonna, and Brigitte Nielsen going on their own rampage. The short and skinny is that I had a lot of fun with the book, in the same way I have fun with Toxic Avenger, Army Of Darkness and Red Hot American Summer. Go read it!

No comments: