Saturday, November 26, 2005

COMICS REVIEW: 11/23 books

GIRLS #7

I'm really liking the crazy turns this story takes, it's a lot of fun.
My major gripe would be the large cast, basically a small town, it's hard to follow who most people are from scene to scene or issue to issue, and the art doesn't help that much, as most of the characters look pretty similar.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

GODLAND #5
Great series, that I highly recommend overall, but this issue seemed a little off...
Good stuff, just not as good as the rest has been so far.
RECOMMENDED

RED SONJA #3

Thought I'd canceled this one, but it's still not off my pull list. I've been underwhelmed so far. The story may be a solid sword yarn, but Rubi's pencils are a bit too straightforward to weave any magic out of it. They also seem progressively less detailed as we go along, relying on the heavy coloring to finish them.
MILDLY RECOMMENDED

ULTIMATE X-MEN #65

A solid finish to a good arc, nice little twist at the end. This could have been a great arc, if this issue was a little stronger throughout...
RECOMMENDED

UNCANNY X-MEN #466

I love Chris Bachalo, and Chris Bachalo on the X-Men is even cooler, I love it so much, I'll even put up with the Claremont writing.
Their first few issues together were a mostly confusing House of M tie-in. Now that that's over things get a little easier to follow. There's actually even some good stuff going on here. I really like the idea of the X-Men being surrounded by Sentinels, feeding on the whole "Days of Future Past" vibe, and Chris writes a really funny, and sexy, scene with Psylocke.
MILDLY RECOMMENDED

WITCHBLADE #92

I don't normally read Witchblade. I'd tried way back when and found it very lacking... but this special anniversary issue had tons of good artists lined up, so what the heck. The story, or lack there of, was just a montage of Witchblade's through the course of time (yes, really), tracing back to the start. Ehhh... Guess I'll tune back out now...
MILDLY RECOMMENDED

YOUNG AVENGERS #9

After an okay, and brief, 2 issue arc with fill-in artwork that was a bit lacking, the great regular penciler, Jim Cheung returns. This issue is pretty downbeat, with a Marvel U rogue popping up and into the YA's path out of nowhere, just like the last arc. There are some fun twists and reveals, as usual though, saving some otherwise boring developments. I'm not sure this one's too long for my pull list. Hopefully Heinberg's got some more aces up his sleeve...
MILDLY RECOMMENDED

No comments: