Sunday, November 20, 2005

TALES FROM NETFLIX

Big list this time, I must be watching too many movies...

BEWITCHED

I'd put off giving in to this one. I like Will Farrell, so I went ahead.
It wasn't bad. They did some good stuff with it, but overall, well, it's just okay...
Put this one at the BOTTOM of your QUEUE

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

This starts off well enough, and is one of Burton's better recent films, but it got a little too simple and cute along the way for my tastes. Certainly good family fare I suppose...
Put CHARLIE at the BOTTOM of your QUEUE

THE DEVIL'S REJECTS (UNRATED)

If you've seen my recent post here, you already know this one kicks ass. This was a great follow up to the surprising directorial debut from musician Rob Zombie, House of a Thousand Corpses. More slasher, serial killer than horror, it's a solid story, sort of, but where this shines is the characters, situations, and attention to detail. Very disturbing, I guess, but that's where all the fun lies here. Good stuff man! More please Mr. Zombie...
Put DEVILS REJECTS at the TOP of your QUEUE

DOG SOLDIERS

Can't remember how I wound up realizing this starred Kevin McKidd who plays the central character, Vorenus, in HBO's cool new series ROME, but since I really liked his work in that series, I had to check this out. From 2002, DOG SOLDIERS follows the often good approach at horror from the military perspective and starts out really well. Showcasing strong acting, dialogue, and camera work, but ultimately bogs down under it's own weight. The ending gets drawn out and needlesly contrived. Which is too bad, it could've been really great. Almost...
Put this one in the MIDDLE of your QUEUE

HERBIE FULLY LOADED

Yes, I saw this too (what's wrong with me?).
Don't ask me why.
It wasn't all that bad really, it was watchable.
Silly, but with just enough charm.
Matt Dillon and what's her name (Lindsay Lohan) do a good job.
Put HERBIE at the BOTTOM of your QUEUE

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 3

My zombie kick continues.
This series, if you haven't heard me tell (or don't know), falls into the send-up category of zombie flicks. It's not meant to be a serious take, but a lighter one, well ya know relatively speaking. And this '93 turn in the series is a departure from the first two. Instead of recycling the original's plot, it builds on it with a new story. It's better than 2, but inferior to 1. A decent watch, with some real problems getting from setup to finish...
Put ROTLD3 in the MIDDLE of your QUEUE if you're a zombie/horror fan, otherwise, downgrade accordingly.

STEALTH

Holy shit this movie sucks!
You know, this isn't your run of the mill over-done Hollywood suck fest, no sir. They go all out on this one. By the end of the movie I was howling in laughter with disgust. What a giant robo-brained turd!
This movie's so bad, Jamie Foxx's character dies half way through just so he can get the hell off the set I'm sure...
Wow!!
The only stealth here, is disguising this piece of shit as a movie!!
Don't even think about putting this in your QUEUE!!

UNDEAD

This is one of those straight to DVD/B movies that you'd otherwise skip over at the video store, but I'd read a good review, and it's a zombie flick. So, I was anxious to give it a shot. I'm glad I did. Turns out it's by a pair of rather creative Australian writer/directer brothers, and they've come up with a fun and original addition to the zombie catalog. UNDEAD is filled with quirky characters and plot twists, humor, action, and the requisite semi-gore. It's also big on ideas and genuine movie time fun.
Put UNDEAD at the TOP of your QUEUE and tell a friend!

No comments: