Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I SAW IT ON TV: Rundown

Haven't posted about TV in a while, so here's a rundown of recent viewing...

Let's start with network TV...


HEROES continues to be one of the better shows on TV. It's not perfect, and some episodes and plots can be worse than others, but it's a great watch, and good TV viewing.

Last night we got to finally see the powered serial killer Sylar, and it turns out he's Tory's gay friend from So Notorious!! Woo hoo. Otherwise, we got the cool backstories on all our cast, in what could have easily felt forced, or lame, but was done well. Memo to the Heroes writing staff, don't follow the Lost formula and go back to the flashback well repeatedly, that would suck.

Some of last night's developments really bother me as they're very similar to some of the things I'm working towards with Super Real, but what can you do...

AMAZING RACE is great reality television. Although this is only my second season watching, as we reach the final four, I find myself again more engaged with the show just as things ramp up, in addition to thoroughly enjoying the full throttle trek around the globe...

SURVIVOR continues to add enough new variables to keep things entertaining. And though I've wondered if casting is lacking, I'm not sure it isn't just the fact we've been there done this so many times...

JERICHO has survived to become a regular show for me, unlike The Nine (yuck), or Studio 60 (boring). While it's far from perfect, at times its sappy, goofy, or downright dopey, its got a great concept and storyline. Not everything can achieve the quality of the better HBO programs (especially on network television), but Jericho has enough going for it to be a fun watch. Like any decent serialized show, you want to see where it's going.
Fit this one into your viewing if you've got the time.

LOST may have finished it's "fall season", but I'm anxious for more. I'm glad they broke it up (as many others are also now doing) into two uninterrupted chunks, I can't wait for 16 episodes in a row. As long as we're not left with as many doubts about the show as we are now by season end, and that this thing won't end up going the way of X-Files...

DAY BREAK which replaces Lost during it's hiatus, has been pretty good so far. At least enough to keep me watching. Diggs is a great lead, the supporting cast is solid, and the production is top notch (I love HD shows). We'll see if they can continue to skate the fine line the concept provides, or if they fall down trying...

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is a surprise watch for me. I didn't want to watch it, but heard good things, and I'm very glad I did. Due to the elections a couple weeks back, I missed an episode, so I haven't yet skipped past that and continued on... But this has a great cast (Kyle Chandler is great as the coach/lead), stellar production, and rich storylines. Give this one a shot if you haven't.

And now cable...

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA maintains it's high quality level now in the third season. Even while making bold moves and changes, picking up where season 2 left off, but now restoring things to status quo while also moving things forward considerably. Best show on TV.

MASTERS OF HORROR began it's second season, and while season one was a fun mix of quality horror based/themed offerings, season two seems weaker both in quality, and horror. It's still a fun series, like a twighlight zone, where you never know what you'll get, or where they'll take you.

And finally, Animation...

LEGION OF SUPERHEROES was a new cartoon I talked up a few weeks back, and while I still think it's a great cartoon, recent episodes have focused more on juvenile fun, than superheroic storytelling. This is shaping up to be less engaging for any age than I originally thought, and more just for a younger demographic (a Saturday morning cartoon just for kids, imagine that).

HELLBOY ANIMATED MOVIE: SWORD OF STORMS
This was one of the stronger animated treatments of a comic I've seen. Definitely more mature than Saturday morning fare, but not too mature as to be for adults only, a good mix. The production and animation was superb throughout, and the designs by Sean Galloway were great, very much along the lines of Jeff Matsuda (current Batman Animated). The story also had very imaginative touches for a basic hero's journey setup, with really creative foes for Hellboy to square off against (a hallmark of the comic), yet being completely new for the movie (I believe). The third act was probably the biggest let down of the production though, not that it was bad, but things resolved in a very straightforward and predictable fashion, especially compared to the rest of the outing.
I myself don't really dig the Hellboy franchise, I think it's creative and fun, but I'm not too engaged with the main character or the core concept of the BPRD. That said, I'd recommended this to any fan of animation, comics, or Hellboy. It's a well done, fun, animated film!

No comments: