Friday, April 22, 2005

IN CASE U MISSED IT: Graphic Novels VS Comic Books... FIGHT!!

I’m all for a name change for “comic books”, I think the name is one of the biggest hurdles the industry faces (though admittedly, one of many, and also a rant for another day), but this is just plain silly…

Over on The Beat, Heidi pulls from an interview with upcoming X3 director, Matthew Vaughn, and he has this to say about comic books:
"I like comic books, but I don't read them like I used to," he told us. "I quite like graphic novels more than comic books.”
Among other silly things…

Then from the comments section, we get a response that sums it up nicely:
“Oh dear. This reminds me of an anecdote that Neil Gaiman tells about a conversation he once had with a journalist. When Gaiman mentioned that he wrote comics for a living the journalist began to lose interest, but on learning that he was the author of *Sandman*, the journalist got excited and said "You're Neil Gaiman! My God man, you don't write comics. You write *graphic novels*!"
Gaiman says that he realised the journalist intended it as a compliment, but it made him feel like someone who has just been told that she isn't a hooker but a "lady of the evening".”

Heidi’s piece, with links to the original piece can be found HERE

No comments: