Friday, May 20, 2005

TALES FROM NETFLIX: Zissou, the great Jaguar Shark hunter
and
Be very afraid of the dark...

Tales From Netflix are DVD reviews, where I tell you if a DVD is worth putting in your Netflix rental queue, moving it to the top, burying it at the bottom, or not even bothering in the first place.

I got a little behind on my Netflix reviews, so here are a couple from last week...


The Life Aquatic is the latest movie from acclaimed director Wes Anderson, and he again teams with one of the Wilson brothers (in this case Owen), and Bill Murray (who was also in Rushmore). After finally seeing Bottle Rocket (a film I can't recommend highly enough) last year, I've come to really appreciate the film making sensibilities of Anderson, especially his penchant for off beat characters in a mish mash of strange heartfelt situations or set ups.

Going into The Life Aquatic, I'd heard generally lukewarm at best reviews, and I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised. I found the film to be utterly enchanting, and Bill Murray mesmerized, just as he did in Lost In Translation. The world Anderson creates for Team Zissou is incredibly dense and detailed, just the other side of reality, where giant Jaguar Sharks roam the seas, and pirates take accountants hostage.

Perhaps that's where problems come in for others, buying into this quirky world and it's characters. If that doesn't connect with you, the film won't either, but for me it did fabulously.

Put this one at the top of your rental queue


The only thing you need to know about Alone in the Dark, is that it stars Christian Slater, Tara Reid, and Stephen Dorf. If that wasn't enough for you, and like me you thought it'd still be watchable cause it's got like monsters and CG stuff, be afraid, be very afraid. Quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

Do not even think about adding this one to your rental queue!

No comments: