Sunday, June 05, 2005

I WATCH ANIME: Metropolis


I'd seen this in the theatres when it originally released stateside, a couple years ago, but just watched it again on DVD.

Metropolis is the anime adaptation of the Tezuka manga interpretation of the classic film. When I originally saw it, it was breathtaking in it's scope and achievement, in terms of animation, and that still holds true, though, of course, scaled down in the home theatre... However, my first time through I was a bit let down, and even laughed out loud (along with about half the theatre) at the absurd use of Ray Charles during the climax, different cultures and all that. Now the main let down for me the first time I think had to do with the pacing, and the direction the story went. I originally came in hoping for more of a cutting edge anime (in terms of content), being somewhat not as savvy with anime at the time. This is not that type of anime. It's more in the vein of the theatrical animes, like Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle). So, the second time through, I enjoyed it quite a bit more.

Metropolis is worth the viewing for the animation production alone. The hallmark Tezuka designs, meshed with lavishly painted and fully realized CG cityscapes, it's a treat for the eyes, and senses. The story is solid too, a bit complex, playing on many levels, as more serious animes often do. A movie not so much to watch, but to experience...
Give this one a view if you haven't.

No comments: